Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Water In The Brain

This is just a quick reflection of an experience today.

At my brother's high school basketball game, I took advantage of the half-time period to hit the facilities. As anyone at today's historic inauguration will tell you, it was "darn" cold outside. As I washed my hands, I felt the ice cold water, chilled by the pipes, run through my fingers and I had the sudden sensation of thirst! I struck me as amazing that pure, cold, water on my hands developed an urge to drink. The more I thought about it, I began to wonder about the connection of this correlation and other experiences in life. We are inspired by the environment around us. Some inspiration is fleeting, but sometimes we may find ourselves heading in a new direction or making life decisions due to a new fascination with a subtle yet enchanting experience.

Movies seem to be an easy example: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN or BRAVEHEART are now classic examples where heroes have captured the souls and inspired the minds of the male audience, THE NOTEBOOK and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE for the female side, and rightly so. But I'm wondering about inspiration at a much simpler level: just as water on my hands gave me the urge to drink, how much of our desires and urges are dictated by subtle yet sensual exchanges that we unwittingly take part in. I want to ponder the idea of, what triggers my passions, my aggressions, my insecurities, my strengths, my self image, my decisions, etc. 

It has occurred to me that the greatest of our actions are influenced by the smallest of our experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment